You may be familiar with electric trikes, but how many of us understand what sets them apart from non-electric trikes? Since a few years ago, electric trikes have become increasingly popular in the United States and are undoubtedly here to rule the market.
With an electric trike, you still need to pedal as any other trike; the only thing that sets them apart is that the motor of an electric trike will need extra power, making things look easier when needed. However, the only significant difference between adult electric tricycles and conventional trikes is the addition of electrical components.
An electric trike differs from a standard non-electric trike in five critical ways.
- Electric Power-Assist Motor
While e-trikes for adults are undoubtedly convenient and entertaining, how effective they are for maintaining your fitness? Many enjoy biking because it’s a good form of exercise and don’t want to feel as if they are “cheating” by using an electric tricycle. E-trikes encourage physical activity just as much as traditional trikes do.
In one study, physical activity associated with different forms of transportation, such as walking, running, cycling, and others, was examined across the nation. The study was published in the journal Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives.
According to the survey, persons who ride electric bikes exercised more frequently than those who ride regular pedal bikes. According to the authors, the results result from e-bikers cycling more regularly and over greater distances than traditional bikers. The same study also discovered that e-cyclists were generally older than conventional bikers.
Here we will discuss the following:
- Different styles of tricycles
- Benefits of traditional tricycles
- Benefits of electric tricycle
- The difference in the riding experience
- Traditional Trike vs Electric Trike: What is the best choice?
Different Styles of Adult Tricycles
The following are three types of seats:
The other back wheel is the main difference between upright adult tricycles and standard bikes. They resemble more extensive versions of ordinary children’s tricycles. The rider is always seated upright, and the frame makes mounting and dismounting simple. These electric tricycles are great for getting around town, but they aren’t designed for racing because they typically feature cargo baskets.
Semi-Recumbent Electric Tricycle
A semi-recumbent cycle is suitable for taller people or anyone who finds riding a conventional adult trike challenging but wants to be higher off the ground than a completely reclined trike. As the seat is further back, this design offers the stability of an upright tricycle with more pedaling and steering. These adult trikes are more user-friendly and enjoyable for most riders than upright ones since they can support bigger riders and do not strain the back as much.
The rider of a recumbent trike is seated, reclined, and low to the ground, which improves their body’s balance. Because it supports the spine in a neutral, reclining position and effectively distributes weight, its design is an excellent choice for people who suffer from back discomfort. Most recumbent trikes have steering levers on one side of the seat, even though numerous other handlebar configurations exist. Because they are low to the ground, these trikes are ideal for sports biking.
What are the benefits of a tricycle?
The following are the benefits of a traditional tricycle:
- Even when cycling slowly, a tricycle prevents you from losing your balance.
- When a tricycle is still, it doesn’t topple over.
- Using a tricycle makes getting on and off the bike simple.
- A tricycle is already in balance, so you don’t need to maintain equilibrium.
- When you are (nearly) at a complete stop, you can safely cross the street without getting off your bike.
- With a tricycle, you can remain mobile on your own for a longer time, go independent shopping, or go on a bike ride while taking in the scenery and your freedom.
What are the benefits of AddMotor Electric Trike?
The following are the benefits of e-tricycle for adults:
- Like conventional tricycles, e-trikes support a bicycle on two wheels at the back and occasionally at the front.
- Two extra wheels enable the bike to transport more passengers and baggage while keeping them secure.
- Doubling the wheels makes it more stable when cruising, especially when turning.
- For people with balance problems, an e-trike is recommended.
- Shorter folks who might have trouble reaching the ground on a bike or bicycle may also benefit from e-trikes.
- E-trikes offer additional support for those with joint and back issues.
- Electric trikes typically have a fantastic range. The typical range for electric trikes is 30 to 85 However, some of them can travel hundreds of kilometers.
How is the riding experience different?
It could be beneficial to schedule a test ride at ADDMOTOR; if you’re curious about to know how is the riding experience of an electric trike different than conventional trikes, continue reading. In summary, though, using an electric trike is comparable to using a traditional trike.
The only difference is that you will feel things are a little easier than usual; you’ll still have to pedal and change gears just like you would on a standard tricycle. You’ll have no trouble climbing hills, handle stronger headwinds, and be able to go farther before becoming tired.
Additionally, the high-quality motors provide incredibly smooth power delivery. The difference won’t be noticeable if you’re used to riding a standard trike. One of the key advantages of electric trikes is the smoothing out of the less enjoyable aspects of riding a regular cycle. Regardless of the e-trike you select, remember that not all motors are created equal.
Traditional Trike vs Electric Trike: What is the best choice?
Returning to the original query, which type of trike—traditional or electric—is ideal for you? You might still be undecided; perhaps you’ll need to take a test drive.
An e-trike, on the other hand, is your obvious choice if you cannot handle a standard trike. A tricycle should be your choice if you anticipate using your bike roughly. The majority of regular trikes lack the power of an electric trike. Both people and cargo may be stored very well there. On the other hand, an electric bike has much less space for storage and passengers.
In addition, a traditional tricycle has higher pedal power due to its lightweight, making it more straightforward to move it around without a battery. An e-trike for adults is hefty, making it challenging to paddle simultaneously. You won’t have the energy to drag it after the battery runs out.