According to the New York Times, the U.S. is experiencing an alarming increase in vehicle deaths. And this cuts across the country, with N.Y. experiencing the worst fatal car accidents in 2022. If the car accident trends continue, N.Y. will likely see the deadliest year in the current decade.
Below are car accident facts and statistics in N.Y. 2O22:
1. Car Accident Statistics in New York 2022
During the first quarter of 2022 alone, N.Y. experienced more traffic fatalities than the first quarter of any year since 2014. New York City Police Department puts the number of motor vehicle collisions at 9,259 across the city as of May 2023. The crashes have left 3,490 people with injuries or killed.
Most of the injured or killed victims were pedestrians, cyclists, and passengers. The statistics below URL this into perspective:
- Out of the 662 pedestrians involved in car accidents, 651 were injured
- 1,431 passengers were involved in vehicle accidents leaving 1,427 vehicle passengers injured
- 465 bicyclists were involved in vehicle accidents, and 462 were injured
- 18,139 motorists were involved in collisions leading to 2,062 motorists injured
Therefore, motorists are far less likely to be injured or killed in car accidents than passengers, bicyclists, or pedestrians. Yet, most of the accidents are largely due to the carelessness of drivers. Driving while drunk is another cause of fatal crashes. Forbes indicates that about one-third of car crash fatalities in the U.S. involve drunk drivers.
2. Top Causes of NY Car Accidents
Drivers’ negligence is the most common cause of accidents and collisions. Driver negligence leading to car accidents in N.Y. in May 2022 includes:
- Driver distraction in which lack of attention when driving, accounted for 2,687 collisions
- Ignoring traffic controls or failing to observe traffic controls such as red lights led to 324 collisions
- 763 collisions were attributed to following too closely
- 693 collisions were reported from failure to yield the right of way
- Inappropriate use of lanes caused 489 collisions
- 352 collisions were reported as a result of over-speeding
Carelessness is the leading cause of accidents. Thus, drivers must comply with traffic regulations and drive safely to protect other road users. Otherwise, you can be held answerable for injuries resulting from driving carelessly.
3. Common Car Accident Injuries
Currently, about 46% of those in N.Y. crashes reported have sustained injuries. The victims have endured injuries that vary in severity. Some of the injury victims have suffered from car accidents include:
- Broken bones and limbs
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Damage to nerves
- Soft tissue damages
Even when your injury may look minor, it may progress with time and become costly to treat. Consequently, you might have the right to financial compensation regardless of the severity of the injury. Remember, injuries can potentially have far-reaching consequences on your life.
If your injury is due to someone’s negligence, you can get assistance from a Bronx car accident attorney. You don’t have to bear the cost more if your car insurance is inadequate to cover the damages.
4. Hiring an Injury Attorney in NY Car Accident
It is wise to seek the services of a skillful personal injury lawyer when injured in a car accident. According to New York laws, you can hold the at-fault driver responsible and seek compensation for damages. Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney increases your chance of obtaining fair compensation.
Your lawyer will investigate and collect evidence on what happened at the scene of the accident. The attorney will get the police report about the accident and analyze it to build a strong suit. You should also furnish the lawyer with medical reports and other necessary documents to ensure proper claim valuation.
An experienced personal injury lawyer will handle negotiations with the insurance company for a reasonable settlement. You could contact our Bronx car accident attorney to help you if you were injured in a car accident.
While accidents may seem unavoidable, a lot can be done to reverse the increasing number of car accidents in N.Y. The common cause of car accidents in N.Y. is driver negligence; thus, most of these accidents are preventable.